Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sleeping help!

Sleeping is not going well in our family these days! Elsi has stopped sleeping through the night. Greg and I have been having allergy troubles and both snoring and waking each other up. Those sleep problems I can cope with, though.

What I can't handle anymore is this: Luke and Ben take FOREVER at night to go to sleep -- I'm so tired of it! It's 10:30 and they're still awake back there, inventing reasons to yell for me to come back there to answer a question, scratch an itchy spot, pick up a dropped stuffed animal, etc. I used to let them read books while they were going to sleep. We haven't let them do that in a couple weeks and it hasn't made one bit of difference. They've also been taking really short afternoon naps, around an hour today -- shouldn't they be exhausted by now?

2 comments:

Sarah R. said...

i have heard of giving kids "tickets" to redeem for coming out of their room or calling for parents. that way they have a limited amount and once they are gone, they are gone. of course, the hardest part of that (or any parenting technique) is holding firm when the tickets run out.

maybe set a timer?

my boys know that i will only come into their room a total of 2 times while their sleeping cd is playing. more than that and they each get a spank. i am not big on spanking in general, but there wasn't really any other consequence that made sense.

i have found that i need to be fairly strict about bedtime or the whole thing unravels - and that quiet evening time is too important to me.

hope you get some sleep soon!

andrea said...

count your blessings, Clara's been waking up every 2 hours since 4 months old....six weeks now....can't be just a growth spurt!! on nights when she actually sleeps three hours I feel like I've had a hit of meth I am so awake and full of energy!

Blog Archive