Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blue Dukas Mentality

One of the things that is taking too much of my time lately is the effort of trying to save money. I HATE paying full price for things -- I feel like I'm getting duped or something. Do you think that comes from the "blue dukas" mentality?

There used to be this little souvenir market in Nairobi; I think it was near the Sarit Center. We used to love to go there to buy artsy/crafty-type souvenirs, like wood-carved animals, soaptstone coasters and candle holders, baskets, etc. The thing about the blue dukas that was different from a regular store is that you were supposed to barter for things -- if you didn't, you'd be getting duped for sure. In places like those blue dukas (and there are lots of places like that in East Africa for souvenirs), bargaining can be a majaor process, depending on how much time you're willing to spend on it.

I don't barter for things here, but I look for coupons and sales that can be used together. I don't even bother even looking at sales racks that aren't at least 50% off. There are even a few blogs and websites I look at where they tell you what's on sale and what coupons have been in the paper that can match up with those sales. Even with that information, I spend a lot of time putting all my coupons together with all the sales, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for my family, so I guess I'll be fitting it in now when I can. I just need to be a little more disciplined about getting to bed at a decent time!

No comments:

Blog Archive